Addiction is a major concern in the mental health landscape of the country and permeates the physical, psychological, social and emotional lives of the individuals that it affects. This introductory course provides an overview of the principles of addiction, both chemical and behavioural. While the emphasis of the course is on addiction to substances, the emerging class of non-substance addictive behaviours (internet gaming, shopping, pathological gambling) will also be discussed. The course covers types of drugs, understanding drug abuse and its appropriate assessment with brief intervention techniques. It is a valuable tool for teachers, parents, students or anyone with an interest in addiction and addictive behaviours.
At the end of the courses, learners will be able to:
- Demonstrate knowledge about the Fundamentals of Addiction/Substance abuse and its’ features
- Describe the various theories to understand the addiction
- Identify and describe the physical, psychological, social & emotional characteristics of addiction
- Describe appropriate assessments
- Discuss about useful counseling techniques